Updates and Reminders:
Financial Aid for Class of 2021
While many families have already submitted financial aid forms via the FAFSA, CA Dream App, and CSS Profile, others still have not.
If you have any interest in receiving need-based aid of any kind, please file your financial aid documents. The California Student Aid Commission is offering several workshops for families.
Students can research available scholarships listed in Naviance. Please encourage your student to check their email for notifications from LAHS or colleges.
Please direct transcript requests to the LAHS registrar, Elena Baquero, via email: elena.baquero (at) MVLA.
Community College Visits
Check out this fascinating website: Salary Surfer hosted by the California Community Colleges. Click to select a program of study to see videos, award type, and median annual salary.
- Representatives from De Anza College will visit LAHS on Tuesday, January 26 (C-Day) at Noon. Visit Link.
- Representatives from Mission College will visit LAHS on Wednesday, February 24 (C-Day) at Noon. Visit Link.
Workshop Wednesdays (Noon-1 pm)
Last semester we offered 13 sessions and we look forward to another semester of informative offerings.
February 3- Creativity, Business Trends, and Your Career
February 10- Resume & Informational Interviews with Nicole Frick. Nicole is a Career Coach who helps talented people find work they are passionate about. You can find her on LinkedIn and her website, nicfrick.com. This workshop will cover:
- The dos and don'ts of creating a resume from scratch
- Understanding the informational interview as a tool
- How to expand your network (and why it's important!)
- Mindset tips in the job/internship search process
Class of 2022
If your student could not attend the mandatory Junior College Meeting offered on November 4 and November 18; the College & Career staff is offering two additional sessions for students to get timely and essential information, including:
- An overview of the resources available
- College advising appointments
- College options
- Actions to take now to prepare for what comes next
- Live Q&A
Thursday, January 21 @ 6:00 pm or Saturday, January 23 @ 10:00 am
Meeting ID: 991 3331 9110
Please speak with your student about their post-secondary plans. We will record one of these sessions and post it to YouTube. Here is a slide deck for parents to review.
Work, Volunteering, Internships, and Summer Programs
Please visit this updated page on the College and Career site for additional information:
- Job opportunities
- Volunteering options such as Letters Against Isolation
- A sampling of summer programs listed at the bottom of the page. Please encourage your student to research options now to avoid missing a deadline.