Message Archive for class-2022

No Newer Messages   [Next Older Message]   next older message

LAHS Counseling Connection: April, 2021

Sent: Tue Mar 23, 2021 • 9:27 AM PDT
From: Counseling, LAHS

LAHS Counseling Connection: April, 2021

Facebook
Website
YouTube
Twitter
Instagram
The latest updates from the
LAHS School Counseling team
Spring is Here!
Spring has arrived and we are loving the extra daylight and a renewed sense of hope and possibility for the months ahead.  LAHS school counselors are finishing our 9th grade appointments and gearing up for our 10th grade small group workshops.  This is also the exciting time of year when our seniors begin making decisions about their future college or next steps--and of course, graduation is just around the corner!  Although there is still uncertainty during the pandemic, we continue to strive for accessibility and consistency as we have done throughout the last year.

10th Grade Small Group Workshops

As part of our new MVLA Counseling program enhancements, counselors will begin holding small group workshops with our 10th graders, beginning April 19.  These workshops will focus on academic success, postsecondary planning, utilizing Naviance, accessing LAHS student support services and resources, and more.  This year's student workshops will take place virtually over Zoom.  Students will receive an email invitation leading up to their workshop date.  Parents of 10th graders who were unable to attend the 10th grade parent night earlier this year, can access the recording HERE.

MVLA Summer School

Applications for MVLA Summer School are now available.   All details and registration links can be found HERE.  We recommend applying as soon as possible.

MVLA Countdown to College!

MVLA Countdown to College
April 1, 2021
5:00 P.M. - 8:00 P.M.
REGISTER

It is time to get excited about Countdown to College! This year, the event will be online and include a combination of live sessions and prerecorded sessions.

This is a great way for students and their parents to gather information on the college application process, financial aid, and more. We highly recommend juniors attend, as well as freshmen and sophomores who want to start the planning process early.

Live sessions include:

  • Student Panel Discussion
  • Writing the Essay
  • Letters of Recommendation
  • WUE (Western Undergraduate Exchange) Schools
Other sessions will include:
  • Transition to College
  • University of California Application and Admissions
  • Cal State University Admissions
  • Hidden Gems Colleges - Colleges outside of the CSU and UC
  • Community College
  • Conducting the College Search
  • Degree options within the Social Sciences
  • Engineering the Engineering Application
  • Beyond Engineering: Alternative Majors for Those who Love to Solve Problems and Create Things
  • Applying to Visual and Performing Arts Colleges
  • Applying to International Colleges
  • Heath and Wellness during the College Process
  • Financial Aid
  • College 101 in Spanish
REGISTER

SAT at LAHS

LAHS is pleased to announce that we are offering the SAT for current Juniors and some Seniors. The test will take place on April 27, 2021. This SAT is going to be given at school and will be open for registration starting Friday March 12, 2021. This is only open to LAHS Juniors and some Seniors if space is available. Juniors will be given first priority.  After that, as space allows, Seniors may register, as we understand that some Seniors may need an SAT score for potential UC grant applications. Registration is NOT open to Sophomores or Freshman or students from any other high school. Registration will close on April 9th, 2021, and there will be no late sign ups. The College Board fee is $68.00 You must register and pay by clicking here. Students eligible for a fee reduction will be able to sign up for that as a part of the online application.

Please note that all COVID safety guidelines will be strictly enforced.

11th Grade College Advising Appointments
Angela Price, our College Advisor, continues to meet with 11th graders for individual, college advising appointments this spring semester.  Students have been contacted by email with instructions on how to request their appointment.  Parents are welcome to attend these appointments with their student.  Appointments will be held over Zoom. Additional information is available HERE.
College Decisions
This is the exciting time of year when seniors are deciding where they will attend college next year.  Seniors who have applied to four-year colleges/ universities will soon be receiving admissions decisions from some of the colleges to which they applied.  When guiding students in this important decision, it is important to consider a number of factors.  It is often difficult to decide which college is the best fit.  If your student needs help in making their choice, LAHS counselors and college advisors in the College & Career Center are happy to help with this process.  Also, once a decision has been made, it is important to follow your college's timelines for notifying them, making a deposit, and anything else they are asking your student to do.  Pay close attention to deadlines!  Students can drop in to their school counselor's student office hours or the College & Career Center.
Julie Lythcott-Haims: Your Turn
Among the many wonderful writers featured at this year's LAHS Writers Week, Julie Lythcott-Haims held a conversation with a panel of LAHS students to discuss her new book, Your Turn: How to Be an Adult.  This book is a follow-up to her New York Times bestseller, How to Raise an Adult.

LAHS Student Office Hours

A reminder that LAHS school counselors are available to meet with students during our lunchtime office hours.  This is a great way for students to connect with us as close to in-person as possible during distance learning.  Students can drop in without an appointment during office hours.  Students can access details HERE.

MVLA Parent Speakers Series
Through enriching presentations from local and national experts on topics of interest to parents, faculty and staff, the MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series seeks to contribute to the academic, physical, and emotional health of our students. All events are free of charge and are for parents, faculty and staff in Los Altos and Mountain View public schools.

A full list of upcoming events and registration information can be found HERE
Mental Health & Wellness Resources
As world events continue to unfold and the pandemic persists, we want you to know that LAHS school counselors remain available to support students.  Additionally, if students have questions about how to connect to mental health support, their school counselor is also available to assist.  Students and families can also access our LAHS mental health and wellness resources.
LAHS Tutorial Center

CONNECT WITH PEERS
CONNECT WITH CONTENT
CONNECT WITH COMMUNITY

As students kick off a new semester full of possibilities, a reminder that the LAHS Tutorial Center is available to assist students with academic support!  Visit the Tutorial Center website for more information.
Counselors
Dafna Adler l Ryan Carter l Jacob Larin l Jeamice Parker l
Deanna Mistele-Ali l Ariel Rojas l Tamesha Wise

College & Career Center
Laura Duran l Angela Price

Counseling Secretary
Mayte Vallado

Bilingual Liaison
Maria Hoerni

You have received this newsletter because you have previously subscribed to an LAHS Elist class announcements list.  To unsubscribe from the list, please visit the link below, enter required info and then select ‘remove my subscriptions’.

http://lahs.elists.mvla.net

This can only be done by the subscriber.

No Newer Messages