Message Archive for class-2022

LAHS Counseling Connection: January 2022

Sent: Mon Jan 10, 2022 • 9:04 AM PST
From: Counseling, LAHS

LAHS Counseling Connection: January 2022

Facebook
Website
YouTube
Twitter
Instagram
The latest updates from the
LAHS School Counseling team
Happy New Year!
Welcome, 2022!  We are thrilled to begin a new year filled with hope and possibilities.  These first weeks have signaled another unprecedented year ahead and we are committed to supporting our LAHS student community during these challenging times.
Sophomore Parent Night Webinar
Tuesday, January 18th
6:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m.

Parents of LAHS 10th graders are invited to learn about how to best support their students in the sophomore year, including: overall student success, resources for support, course selection, graduation status, college eligibility, beginning the college and career exploration process, and more.  We will also discuss the 10th grade small group workshops, as well College & Career Center offerings open to sophomores.  Panelists include Laura Duran (LAHS College & Career Center Coordinator), Jeamice Parker (LAHS School Counselor), Angela Price (LAHS College Advisor), and Deanna Mistele-Ali (LAHS School Counselor).  This webinar will be recorded and posted to the LAHS Counseling website following the event for those unable to attend the live session.
REGISTER HERE

Course Selection for 2022-2023
LAHS students will soon request their courses for the upcoming school year.  Course Selection Week will take place on January 24 -28.  This week will include a variety of opportunities for students to learn about courses offered and to connect with teachers and counselors about course options and pathways.  Students will select their courses online through their Aeries/SIS accounts.  The course selection window for (currently attending) LAHS students is January 24 -February 18.  Counselors will be offering drop-in times for current students throughout the course selection window.  There is also helpful information and 'how-to' videos for students to access in the Course Selection section of the Counseling website.

LAHS school counselors help and encourage students to select challenging and exciting courses with intentionality, while keeping their overall wellbeing in mind.  We believe that prioritizing wellness and selecting a schedule that allows for balance is an important life skill.  This Balance and Time Management Video highlights some of the ways our LAHS students/recent grads maintain a healthy balance in their lives and manage their time.  We are also introducing our updated Time Management Activity Worksheet, which will be printed on the back of course selection worksheets.
9th Grade Individual Appointments
Counselors will soon begin holding individual, 9th grade appointments from January 24-April 1.  These appointments will take place in-person for students.  Parents are invited to virtually attend these appointments (by Zoom), although parent attendance is not required. At these appointments, we will discuss students' transitions to high school (academically and socially), and begin developing their 4-year plans, which serve as tools to ensure that students are on track to meet their graduation requirements as well as college entrance requirements.  Our counseling secretary, Mayté Vallado, will email parents and students their appointment time, along with the appointment Zoom link for parents who would like to join.
11th Grade College Advising Appointments
Angela Price, our College Advisor, will begin to meet with 11th graders for individual, college advising appointments in February, and this will continue throughout the semester.  Students will be contacted by email with information about their appointment.  Parents are welcome to virtually attend these appointments with their student.  Additional information will be posted HERE.
College Application Assistance
Several colleges and universities have extended their application deadlines for next fall's incoming class, and consequently some of our seniors are currently in the process of completing and submitting applications.  Our College and Career Center continues to support students in all phases of the application process.  Students who would like additional help with their college applications (or any other part of the process) can attend drop-in hours.  Details are available on the College & Career Center events calendar.
LAHS Student Drop-In Times

A reminder that LAHS school counselors are available to meet with students during our lunchtime office hours (in-person) and during A.C.T period (over Zoom from whichever classroom the student has signed up to be in).  This is a great way for students to connect with us individually.  Students can drop in without an appointment during these times.  Details can be found HERE.

MVLA Parent Speakers Series
Through enriching presentations from local and national experts on topics of interest to parents, faculty and staff, the MVLA Parent Education Speaker Series seeks to contribute to the academic, physical, and emotional health of our students. All events are free of charge and are for parents, faculty and staff in Los Altos and Mountain View public schools.

A full list of upcoming events and registration information can be found HERE
Mental Health & Wellness Resources
As world events continue to unfold and the pandemic persists, we want you to know that LAHS school counselors remain available to support students.  Additionally, if students have questions about how to connect to mental health support, their school counselor is also available to assist.  Students and families can also access our LAHS mental health and wellness resources.
LAHS Tutorial Center

CONNECT WITH PEERS
CONNECT WITH CONTENT
CONNECT WITH COMMUNITY

As students kick off a new semester full of possibilities, a reminder that the LAHS Tutorial Center is available to assist students with academic support!  Visit the Tutorial Center website for more information.
Counselors
Dafna Adler l Ryan Carter l Jacob Larin l Jeamice Parker l
Deanna Mistele-Ali l Ariel Rojas l Tamesha Wise

College & Career Center
Laura Duran l Angela Price

Counseling Secretary
Mayte Vallado

Bilingual Liaison
Jose Salazar

You have received this newsletter because you have previously subscribed to an LAHS Elist class announcements list.  To unsubscribe from the list, please visit the link below, enter required info and then select ‘remove my subscriptions’.

http://lahs.elists.mvla.net

This can only be done by the subscriber.