Message Archive for hockey

Re: LA Field Hockey: Summer Training Information

Sent: Sun Jun 20, 2021 • 9:00 PM PDT
From: Mary Donahue

Re: LA Field Hockey: Summer Training Information
HI LA FH players - both returning and new players!

I hope everyone is enjoying our great summer weather and being able to do more fun summer things  - getting back to normal!!

We started summer training sessions last week and had a great turnout at all 3 practices. It's going to be a fun summer. :) As you may know, we have scheduled our summer LA FH sessions on Monday and Wednesday mornings and Tuesday afternoons. This allows for families to enjoy long weekends and gives us a bit more flexibility on our end. However, Thursday through Sunday is quite a stretch between workouts and practice sessions, so we have started a doc for players to use on those off days - mostly for conditioning, but we will be adding some fh drillwork (stickwork mostly) as well.

All players should be working out 3-4 times a week.  This means getting your heart rate up for a minimum of 20 minutes and working on muscle strength and endurance. We typically use plyos workouts to concentrate on lower body strength, ab/core strength and some upper body work. Below is a link to a doc that we have started to provide workouts for non-practice days.

If you are attending the 3 on-campus sessions each week, please try to add in another running workout and a body-wight workout.

If you are attending the on-campus team practices only infrequently, teh coaching staff encourages you to use this docc as the basis for 3-4 workouts per week. You want  to mix in body weight work, sprints, interval running and some distance running (30 minutes per run).

We will be starting team tryouts on Friday, August 4th. We will immediately launch into ramping up fitness. There will be conditioning at each of those sessions, so we want players to be prepared for a quick start!  So, take a look at the initial set of workouts in the doc and let us know if you have any questions. We will be adding material to it in the next few weeks.

In case you missed Coach Maggie's email w/the summer training schedule and info, I've included it again bleow.

Hope to see you all soon!

GO EAGLES!

Coach Mary